Thursday, January 19, 2012

The New Year.............time's a wastin'

I'm so glad the holidays are over....that plus work has been killing me. So it's back to start contributing to his blog, with a goal of posting at least something every day.

With that being said, I'll guess that will be my New Year's resolution.  It shouldn't be too hard...I mean we only have what...another 11 months or so before the world ends?  (Psst...I use zip lock bags and containers, NOT tinfoil )


http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/01/real-racists-do-real-things/251625/#bio

"Real Racists Do Real Things."

Apparently what Newt Gingrich said about Obama being a "Food Stamp President" is RACIST.

HUH?

I'm NOT a Newt Fan...jesus, who is? And if they are who would admit to it?

But RACIST?  Why because Obama is black?

If I call Bush a Food Stamp President, does that make me racist too?

I wonder if Herman Cain was still in the race...and he had said the same thing?  Is that racist?

I'm sick of the race card being played over and over.  Before we go deeper let's look at the definition of racism, courtesy of Websters:

1: a belief that a race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

2: racial prejudice or discrimination.

So straight from Webster.  Where does what Newt said meet the definition? Now again, I am not a fan of Newt Gingrich. He's a politician.  He's been a politician for a long time.  In all honesty he's no different than any of the rest of them..but's that beside the point, at least for this post...

I have issues with Obama as a President, and those issues have NOTHING AT ALL to do with his race.

And I'll address the elephant in the room, I'll ask the question no one else wants to...

If a person of color makes a disparaging comment about a white President, is that racist?

Take a long look at Washington D.C....take a look at the state of politics in our country.  It's not like we have to dig for faults, we don't have to resort to dropping the race card.

So why all the fuss?  I know people who literally act like they are afraid to say anything bad about Obama because they are afraid people will think they are racist...really?

One of reasons things like this grow is the media.  They stir the pot, and it becomes news...or rather they MAKE it news.

Let's be real here.  In a society where people are more likely to be able to name the contestants or characters on the latest reality show than the current Secretary of State or other members of our government, does this really surprise you?

If you can get someone to focus on one thing, it takes away focus from other things.  It's  the oldest trick ever, just ask any magician.

And now we've got the story of Newt's ex-wife talking about how he asked for an "open marriage"....really? That's what is passing as news now?

How many ex wives across the country have positive things to say about their ex husbands?  Come on.

What's my point?

My point is pretty simple.  If you don't want to vote for Newt, that's fine.  But at least KNOW the reasons you don't want to vote for him...and in case you haven't been paying attention, it shouldn't be because of what his ex-wife has to say.

Make an EDUCATED decision.  Look at his voting record, look at where he stands on the issues that are important to you.

So with the Republican nomination race coming to a head, I'm sure I'll have plenty of things to comment on here.....


No comments:

Post a Comment